Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:34:38 -0500
From:      "Peter Brock" <peer@interquad.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Root Partitions

Alright i wanna spark a debate.. Can someone tell me why it is recomended to
devided your hd into seperate slices for / /usr and /var? Why not put
everything on a single partition and be done with it? I have a few setups
with just a root partition and everything is working great. I also find
making backups to other media ie. cloaning hds easier with this setup then
subdividing your disk into slices. Can someone shed some light unto why it
is recomemded to partition off the disk?

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    18G   994M    16G     6%    /
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%    /proc

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused
Mounted
on
/dev/ad0s1a  18891030  1017555 16362193     6%   96816 4625102     2%   /
procfs              4        4        0   100%      41     491     8%
/proc