Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:58:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        James Love <love@cptech.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

> Not to mention magazines and trade weeklies.  Why does Linux have coverage
> in these venues?  Because Linux users have written articles about how to
> do this or that with Linux?  Why don't these same publications carry
> articles about FreeBSD?  Because NOBODY is writing and submitting them.

Hear hear.  I just finished writing one for Performance Computing and
have been, with the possible exception of Brett (who appears to do
just fine when he's banging a kettle in print rather than in email :),
one of the only people still trying to keep FreeBSD mentioned
occasionally in the american trade press.  That sucks.  I don't even
like writing articles. :)

The Japanese folks are still doing great things, of course, and the
Germans appear to be catching up with more articles in C't and other
related magazines from what I've been seeing lately.  So where the
heck are all the ENGLISH SPEAKING writers, folks?! :-) C'mon, just
1500 words or so for your favorite online computer mag (or even one
that's not your favorite) and you'll be getting us up into the same
viewspace that Linux is currently occupying.  For extra bonus points,
go for the print media.  Just get the word out!

> Daemon News is a step in the right direction, but only a step.  More
> articles about FreeBSD, in the publications both techies AND managers
> read, will inevitably lead to more users and more acceptance.  The high
> quality and usability of FreeBSD will guarantee wins, if we can just get
> it in front of their eyeballs.

[Points aggressively at Wes]  Listen to this man!  Yes! :-)

- Jordan