Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:40:29 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        "John C. Place" <jcplace@ibm.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.3 and FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 11:25:22PM -0500, John C. Place wrote:
> I know this is not the Apache support group BUT I think I have something
> "turned off" in BSD. I built and installed Apache with no errors and by the
> docs you should be able to start the server and see the intro page. I
> immediately get a refused message also if I do telnet to the port I get a
> refused message. Is there some kind of security measure I am not ware of? I
> have installed Apache on a couple other platforms but I am embarrassed to say
> not on FreeBSD, I apologize if I missed some docs some where.

How did you start it? After you started it, did 'ps ax' show that it was
running? And if not, was there anything in the httpd error log to tell you why
it didn't start?

Try starting it with the script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh. If it doesn't
start, check the httpd error log. You can also run '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl
configtest' to see if there are any errors in your configuration files, which
is the most likely cause of its not starting.

Chris