Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:21:58 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Shaun Bender <shaunbender@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bind upgrade

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

* Shaun Bender <shaunbender@hotmail.com> [20010322 23:49]: writing on the s=
ubject 'Bind upgrade'
Shaun> Hi,
Shaun>=20
Shaun> I'm getting ready to upgrade Bind to 9.1.0 and would like to know if=
 anybody
Shaun> has some good ways of doing that. The current version that I'm runni=
ng is
Shaun> 8.2.3-T5B. Basically, I would like to find out the locations of all =
the
Shaun> files. This way when I do the install it'll just replace the current=
 files,
Shaun> then all I'll have to do is restart and the new version is running. =
All the
Shaun> files that I have are in the default installation locations from whe=
n I
Shaun> installed FreeBSD. Bottom line is I'm not sure the locations of all =
the
Shaun> files. Any help would be appreciated.

Bind 9 installs the binary in /usr/local/sbin as opposed to bind8 which
installs to /usr/sbin so what you need to do to run bind9 is to have these
three lines in your /etc/rc.conf=20

named_enable=3D"YES"
named_program=3D"/usr/local/sbin/named"
named_flags=3D"-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"

Normally named.conf would be in the path above but if you put yours
elsewhere then change to that.

here is what i run at the moment - on a test machine...

wash:/usr/home/wash$ dig @aft version.bind chaos txt
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @aft version.bind chaos txt
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      version.bind, type =3D TXT, class =3D CHAOS
;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.           0S CHAOS TXT    "9.1.1rc5"
;; Total query time: 0 msec
;; FROM: aft.iconnect.co.ke to SERVER: aft  212.22.163.113
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 23 12:11:33 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 51

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one=20
instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program =
can=20
be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work.=20

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o--