Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:55:14 +0100
From:      Simon Williams <freebsd@sis-domain.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LINT & IPFIREWALL options

Hi,

I've recently replaced my Linux installation with FreeBSD 4.3, as it has
support for bandwidth limitation & I want to learn more about UNIX
rather than Linux.  When I installed it, I realised that the kernel was
3.3MB, so I thought about stripping out support for hardware I don't
have & I remember a friend of mine telling me he had to re-compile the
kernel to include firewall support.

After reading through the kernel customisation part of the handbook, I
copied the GENERIC file (in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf) to a file named
CUSTOM & started editing it.  I removed support for all the hardware I
don't have, leaving in a couple of types of network card that I may use
later on.  I also saw IPFIREWALL & friends in LINT, but not in CUSTOM,
so I added the following lines:

options         MROUTING
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPV6FIREWALL
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG
options         IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK
options         IPSTEALTH

Now when I booted this kernel, it recognised the network card, but a
ping returned "No route to host."  Through trial & error I tracked the
problem down to the above lines, so I removed the IPv6 firewall options
& also this line (I don't use IPv6 on my network):

options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols

Booting with this kernel showed the same results.  When I removed
MROUTING (As the error mentioned route & I'd added a ROUTE line, it
seemed like the obvious culprit) the same thing happened.  Removing all
of the lines I've mentioned here works fine & I can still use ipfw (and
it works).

 From reading some past posts from this list, I saw that IPFilter is
another (old?) firewall application.  Does this mean those lines are for
ipfilter instead of ipfw?

Now that I have a working kernel & firewall, I just wanted to know why
LINT shows firewall options that aren't in GENERIC, yet firewalling
still works?  Also, this box will be doing firewalling/bandwidth
limiting/routeing (for an IP block) in about a weeks time; is there
anything I need to do to the kernel to support that or is it just ipfw
commands from here?

Please CC me in on replies, as my subscription request may not have gone
through yet (haven't had a response back from Mr Domo).

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Simon <simon@sis-domain.demon.co.uk> PGP: 0x099977D0
No, I didn't lose my mind; it was stolen by aliens.