Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 16:19:10 -0400
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   using PERL on FreeBSD to get data from MS Access... any ideas?

Has anyone successfully been able to work with Microsoft Access
database-stored data from PERL on a FreeBSD box?

Here's the deal:

    We've got a rather large Microsoft Access Database, the database is used
to keep track of several leagues, their teams and players involved and all
stats regarding any of the above. We need to find a way to securely access
and display the data about the team/player stats on a per-league basis over
the internet. Posting the entire database out onto public domain would allow
anyone to download the whole thing and in essence 'steal' all the work done
to create the project over the years. This is something that the DB creator
obviously doesn't want to happen.
    Any ideas on how we might be able to create pages on the server-side
(FreeBSD/Apache) of the webserver to dynamically display stats and such
information to the public? I understand fully what's rewquired on the
programming side as far as interfaces/etc, (could do this no problem if the
database was in mysql personally). The short version: need to find a
server-side solution (prefereably using PERL:DBI) which will allow a CGI
application to access a Microsoft Access database.

--
Nathan Vidican
nathan@vidican.com