Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:31:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Hpyrep <hpyrep@foxinternet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware and FreeBSD

On Saturday,  6 February 1999 at 21:10:23 -0800, Hpyrep wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Getting ready to build a server and need to know if I can use
> FreeBSD as the OS.

It would be nice to know what you want to serve.

> I've added the server hardware configuration below, if you would let
> me know if this will work.
>
> CPU, motherboard & case (N440BX-BX):
>    Dual Intel PentiumII 450MHz with MMX, Full Tower Server case
> Operating System:
>    FreeBSD

To take advantage of both processors, you'd need FreeBSD 3.0 or
better.  3.1 will be released in a couple of weeks; I'd recommend
that.

> Memory:
>    128 MB 100MHz SD-RAM ECC 16x72 (x 4)

Depending on what you're serving, this might be a little light for the
CPUs.

> Storage Options:
>    6.5 GB Seagate Ultra SCSI (x 4)
>    Adaptec PCI UltraWide SCSI controller
>    UltraWide SCSI cable
>    Mylex AccellerRAID (200 or 250)

Is this a SCSI-SCSI controller or a bus-connected RAID controller?  If
it's the latter, we don't support it.

> Video:
>    2 MB PCI Trio 64-bit with MPEG support

You don't normally need MPEG support on a server.  Are you planning
anything special?

> Keyboard & mouse:
>    Premium Windows 98 Keyboard

Not a keyboard I would recommend.  But it'll work.

> CD/DVD ROM 32x EIDE
> Audio: None
> Modem:
>    DSL modem and NIC (1-2  512kb connections)

This should work fine with FreeBSD.  I can't make any statement about
performance because I don't know what you're planning to do with it.

Greg