Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:05:38 +0200
From:      Mark Pearce <mark@netchat.co.za>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        mindugas77@delfi.lt, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about FTP

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:00:11 -0300 (ART)
Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar> grunted:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Mindaugas wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >    My computer is connected:  WinBOX<--->10MB hub<-->FreeBSDBox
> >    But the speed when I uploading to anon ftp is 60 - 90 kbps and when
> >    I downloading from my ftp speed is 1 - 15 kbps and it seems
> >    sometimes it hangs up.
>
> I may be your network interface configuration. Plese post the output of
> a 'ifconfig -a'. Some cards are known to have problems with autoselect
> media. Try seting that options manually
>

> 				Fer
>
> >    network cards are RTL8139 chips both (and winbox and BSDbox)
> >    At first I thought that my BSD box computer ($%&!(####@!!, but I
> >    installed Linux Slackware 8.0 and tryed ftp on it.
> >    i.e. LinuxBox<-->10MB hub<-->Winbox.
> >    The speed was 700 - 900 kbps (I think that is normal 10MB metwork speed)
> >    I tryed ftpd daemon, proftpd standalone,(on BSD) but speed is the
> >    same: 60 - 90 kbps.
> >    What I'm doing wrong???
> >    may by my KERNEL need some options???
> >    no firewall, no limitations is installed... the fresh install...

I have had the same problems before, with any FreeBSD version using the 8139 chipset working slowly.  The only alternatives that I found was to upgrade the HUB to 100 or replace the network card.  Sorry, no gems of wisdom here cos I've asked the list before, gotten all the usual answers about configuring the card, etc, but some cards just don't work well on a 10 network with FreeBSD.

Mark