Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:35:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bob Amstadt <bob@amscons.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't install recent version of FreeBSD on my laptop

Forgive me if this was answered already.  Something goofed up on my system
and I'm not sure if my mail went out.

I can install on my laptop using any FreeBSD 3.x release with the wd
driver, but I can't get an install to work with the newer ata driver.

The new driver displays the following information:

atapci0: Busmastering DMA not supported
ata2: at 0x174 on atapci0
ata2: unable to allocate interrupt
device_probe_and_attach: ata2 attach returned 6

It appears to me that the device is at an address associated with a driver
that is not configured in the kernel.  I have tried reconfiguring ata0 to
be at 0x174, but I get the same error.  If a new kernel is required, I
don't have a system to build one.  Can anyone help me get a recent version
of FreeBSD to install?

Thanks.

-----
Bob Amstadt