Date:      Sun, 10 May 2015 23:45:31 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1431716630.bb1941@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions and ownership of /usr/src

On Sun, 10 May 2015 15:03:44 -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrading my system from 8.2 to 9.3.
>
> I deleted the /usr/src folder and re-created it.

The correct word is "directory". :-)

> Presently the permissions
> are;
>
> drwxr-xr-x  22 root  wheel  1024 May  9 17:32 src
>
> but I am getting an access error to /usr/src from mergemaster.

What exactly is the error message?

> Can anyone tell me what the permissions - ownership are/should
> be for /usr/src ?

/usr/src should belong to root:wheel and have rwxr-xr-x permissions
(those are the defaults). Does mergemaster indicate an error for
/usr/src itself or for a subdirectory thereof?

You probably can restore /usr/src by using the mtree specification
in /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany