Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:44:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch for current on LCA based alphas

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 02:42:52PM -0600, Mike Eldridge wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > > LCA systems doesn't like probing after PCI slot 19.
> > > Probing slot 20 panics the system.
> > > The following patch made it into single user mode on my AXPpci33.
> > > I asume it will also work on multias.
> > > I can't tell more as the tested system is a 4.1-RELEASE and I need
> > > to update the world before further testing.
> >
> > Hmm, what exactly happens when slot 20 is probed?  I remember my problems
> > with my Multia were related to PCI interrupts.  It would spit out
> > "dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin 192" about 50 or so times and
> > then panic.
>
> Wasn't this somehow related to the version of the SRM console code?

Well, 4.0 didn't panic.

That brings me to another point, for some reason, when I attempted to
upgrade the SRM, it appeared as if it wrote the firmmware successfully,
there were no errors, it went through the process, *but* when I checked
the version of SRM, it was still the same.

I really haven't messed with it at all lately because I'm waiting for a
proper serial cable so that I can plug the Multia's serial port up to one
of my linux boxen.  D25M to D9M, quite possibly the most difficult cable
to assemble.  I had 2 dozen various 9<->25 pin adapters, and I couldn't
combine any of them with a D9M-D9F cable in any way to come out with a
D25M<->D9M cable.

I've only seen this particular problem with 4.1.1 (I don't think I've
tried 4.1 yet, although I can't remember for sure).

Mike