Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:41:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does 'ad0: HARD READ ERROR' imply impending disk failure?

On Friday, 22 June 2001 at 14:17:54 +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 21 June 2001 at 17:46:28 +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
>>
>>> Jun 21 16:35:42 grover /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 13634000
>>>  status=59 error=40
>>> Jun 21 16:35:46 grover /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 13634000
>>>  status=59 error=40
>>
>> This message is pretty specific.  It comes from the disk, not the IDE
>> controller, so you can assume that it's really a disk problem.  It's
>> possible that a low-level format could recover something, though.
>
> Thanks for the answer.  I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new disk.
> In an attempt to salavge the current one, would you recommend a low level
> format over trying badsect(8)?

Yes.  A low-level format rewrites the entire disk, including the parts
of the sector not accessible to the controller, such as the ID fields.
I don't recognize the status code there, but it could be that that is
what is defective.  Of course, depending on the problem, you might
find that the surface is still not readable, and in that case
badsect(8) might help.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.