Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:42:59 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanna buy an EIDE harddisk ... 5400 or 7200 for home use (noise)

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 06:08:25PM -0500, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> >> 3.4 you will have to either make partitions no larger than 27 GB or
> >> else use the new IDE driver from 4.0.
> >
> >when, if, such ddevices become available for the scsi bus will
> >the end user require doing anything special, ummm, that is take
> >sepcial measures like your  proposing for the 'ide' type bus
> >version of these large drive devices ? i've use scsi where ever
> >possible, because  of the inherent reliability and performance
> >(for my meager requirements) issues, such as they are.
>
> when/if?  SCSI is ahead of IDE.  I have sitting here on the floor by
> my desk a box containing two 50 GB SCSI drives purchased a couple weeks
> ago.  I have yet to install them but as far as I'm aware from reading
> the freebsd lists there are no such problems as that above with large
> SCSI disks and freebsd.

andreas, jason, mitch and several others who posted email ...
thank you all for your help with my some what behind the times
information.

since i retired from 'active services' i've become a bit 'outof
date' as regards whats happening.

part of what sourred my post was the memories of 9 gb seagate
barracudas being put into www servers in a 'warm' sydney summer
afternoon. yes warm afternoon, the barracuda would get so hot
that the media would demagnetise, turn it off and let it cool
down a few hours and it would be right as rain till the next 40
deg C afternoon. so i was wondering if the new ones had the
same sort of problems, it appears that they do not.

as fro the cluster count, it looks like after the larger than 1
gb devices those things got sorted out for scsi and our next
zone of contention might be the 2 terabyte boundry, as jeremy
pointed out.

anyway, thank you all for responding and sheading light on my
confusion. i'd always thought that scsi was the better way to
go, either fro the 'comercial' environment or the ever more
demanding 'home' environment.

with warm regads and much apreciation.

cheers

jonathan