Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:00:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List email bomb

> lists were subjected to a sort of a "flood attack"

   It wasn't necessarily a malicious attack. I've seen this happen a few
times, and the perpetrators were usually just clueless and often suffered
more inconvenience as they caused me. What you did is as close to
"correct" as I think you can get. (if anyone has a better plan, I'd love
to hear- now that I think about it, using sendmail's access features might
be more appropriate) I usually add a step of emailing the admin of the
server in question, just to be safe.

   What I think you might be seeing is a typical loop scenario, caused by
brain-dead autoresponders or mail servers. Someone subs to a list on your
server, and when majordomo sends them something it generates a response
(either a bounce, or a "we got your mail" message) that is (probably
improperly) sent to 'majordomo' - which of course majordomo doesn't
understand, so it thoughtfully sends them the 'help' message. The help
message then causes the generation of another response. And so on...

-=Jim=-