Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD background logo

In article <19970818121348.56163.kithrup.freebsd.chat@lemis.com> Greg writes:
>Of course we can.  The name is just copyrighted; you're still allowed
>to write it.

The name is *trademarked*.  It is a registered trademark of USL, which is
owned by SCO; X/Open, Ltd. (or is it just The Open Group now?) has exclusive
rights to license the trademark.

>it reminds me a little of Kirk McKusick's
>limited edition Daemon T-shirt with the deflated death star on the end
>of the fork.

True story:  it used to be a deflated death star (aka AT&T's logo), until a
certain Dennis Ritchie complained, because AT&T was no longer the owner of
UNIX.  (I have, somewhere, one of those original shirts.)