Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 19:22:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java and libc/libpthread

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bill Huey wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:55:58AM +1030, Greg Lewis wrote:
> > 3. As I've been tinkering with the the 1.3 code I've so far been
> >    using the linuxthreads port to try and get native threads running
> >    as that means our code stays very very similar to the code for
> >    native threads under Linux.  I haven't succeeded with this yet,
> >    but I don't believe thats because it can't work (its just lack of
> >    time to debug things so far).
>
> What ? Screw that. The LinuxThreads signal interaction with SIGCHLD,
> etc... within an ill concieved thread/signal semantics specification
> (aka Unix) is going to to be murder to deal with.
>
> I recommend doing it using the normal Solaris/Pthreads code instead.

FWIW, I don't see our libpthread from deviating too much from
the POSIX spec.  I would like it to be as compliant as possible,
including the way signals are handled in a multi-threaded
environment.  I know that Linux remaps SIGCHLD to SIGUSR[1 or 2?],
and I hope that would not be necessary for FreeBSD.

> I also might be able to get our pthread library to the general FreeBSD
> community which might help with your port since we have it pretty well
> debugged for our (this) purposes. I haven't seen the FreeBSD pthreads
> userspace library so I can't comment on the benefits and draw backs of
> doing this ?

What is BSDIs threading model?  You mentioned SIGALRM-based threads
earlier and to me that meant it was similar to our current libc_r
(which uses SIGPROF now).

--
Dan Eischen