Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:22:16 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!

    Warner> When are they secure?  The only case I can think of is
    Warner> when they are used on an isolated network that isn't
    Warner> connected to the outside world and all the users on that
    Warner> isolated network are trusted.  Seems like a very limited
    Warner> subset of FreeBSD users in general.

Sounds like most corporate networks sitting behind firewalls. We use
rsh/rlogin all over our internal development networks. We just don't
let it through the firewall. And since everyone on the development
network has root for all the machines, the security limitations in
rsh and rlogin are a non-issue.

    Warner> The company I currently work for (Timing Solutions) does
    Warner> have systems that we deploy into isolated netowkrs like
    Warner> this, and we find it desirable to have these protocols
    Warner> available, but would accept them being disabled by
    Warner> default.

Us too. Just don't remove the binaries themselves.

--lyndon