Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:29:53 +0200
From:      Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's wrong with uhid ?

I tried to access an UHID device using FreeBSD (4.10) and I'm a bit
confused. I did the same thing before with NetBSD and expected the
device to behave the same under FreeBSD, because the man pages are
pretty much the same. Two things I've noticed:

- There is an man page for uhidev(4). uhidev claims to dispatch
various report id's of a device to different uhid-devices, so if
a single physical device has 4 report IDs you should end up with
/dev/uhid0 .. /dev/uhid3. Both FreeBSD and NetBSD have this uhidev
man pages, but FreeBSD doesn't semm to have the device.

- I got only one uhid-device per physical device (or per interface,
to be more correct). I don't know how to access the different report
IDs if I only have one device.

I have the feeling that FreeBSD has changed the behaviour of uhid when
it took the code from NetBSD but didn't ajust teh man pages to reflect
this changes. Or do I miss something obvious here ?

TIA for some advice about this,
                                   Werner