Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:09:22 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: POP Before SMTP

On Saturday, Aug 9, 2003, at 05:30 US/Pacific, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Hmmm... Don't know precisely about pop before sendmail, but setting up
> sendmail so that it requires authentication before it will relay a
> message from a "foreign" location is quite do-able, and can easily be
> integrated with the standard system sendmail.
>
> Probably the easiest way to get going is to follow the instructions at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-
> auth.html

The handbook seems to be missing some instructions.  I tried what it
says and sendmail does not accept authentication requests.  There is an
error in the maillog about /usr/local/etc/sasldb.db having group
permissions.  Changing that to  700 changes the error to one where it
can't access the file.  Changing the owner of that to root eliminates
the error messages.  Sendmail then acknowledges that it has auth
capability.  But it doesn't authenticate anything.  A ktrace shows that
it tries to access a pipe in /var/pwcheck/pwcheck.  The directory
exists, but it is completely empty.  Something else is needed to get
whatever its trying to communicate with up.