Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:36:16 -0000 (GMT)
From:      "Chris Howells" <howells@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Which motherboards work well with em(4)?

After about 9 months of messing around with two servers with em(4) gigabit
cards and having continual problems with them randomly stopping working,
particularly under reasonably heavy load, I think I have finally come to
the conclusion that they don't work very well with the Asus A7V8X-X Socket
A motherboard. [1]

I think it might therefore be time to try a different motherboard. Can any
body recommend a board that works well with em(4)? I'm looking for a
socket A board so I can keep the current Duron 1800, or possibly a Socket
754 or 939. Don't really care about the rest of the specifications though
price is quite important (don't want onboard RAID or SCSI or anything
fancy).

Thanks for any advice.

[1 - I've tried everything: various patches; FreeBSD 4, 5 and 6; changing
the interrupt mode in the BIOS from ACIC to PIC; disabling ACPI...]

--
Cheers, Chris Howells -- howells@kde.org
Web: http://www.kde.org.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C