Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:43:03 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        higginsj@iname.com
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where to get Windows Internet stuff/ More on Windows & BSD

At 12:33 AM 6/16/98 -0400, James wrote:

>I have also used some scientific apps that make HEAVY use of /var and
>/tmp.  As in hunderds of megs.  If this was the case then both you / and
>/var partitions would be in trouble.  The morale, think about what you
>want the machine for before writing the partition table or disk label.

Weren't these scientific apps configurable to use different directories,
say custom dirs in /usr?  If not, they weren't very well written.

>Not everyone has the luxury of another drive, so use FIPS and shave
>another partition off that windows partition and use it for something.
>This is all the beauty of a hierarchal filesystem.

I use the text-mode version of Partition Magic, which is a little more
powerful than FIPS but essentially the same thing.  But you're right, it's
fairly easy to make adjustments.  The only problem is, Win95 is overly
sensitive to your system configuration.  If you make its partition smaller
or larger, it will know it somehow and you'll have problems (probably a
setting somewhere in the system.dat portion of the registry).  I've found
this out from experience.  So I don't play around with resizing partitions
containing Win95.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.