Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 14:03:07 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel Modules seem broken.

Whine, whine whine moan, sulk whinge.
(Just though I ought to get it out of the way first.)

I submitted a problem report a while back now, on how certain kernel
modules cause panics; (kern/17375).

This problem manifests itself on more than one 3.4-stable machines of mine.

I'm trying to develop a kernel module, yet I keep getting bitten by
this. The "how to repeat" I've given is an example of how to
definitely panic your machine, but it does happen at other times too,
directly after a kldload, or perhaps while loading a module.

Using kldload/kldunload cycles with [guess] any modules with considerable
data declated static seems to be responsible, but I'm not sure.

Seeing as it's more than a month since I submitted this pr, and if
it's as broke as it seems it could be the cause of some random panics
for people out there then I wondered if there's much chance of it
being looked at or if anyone on the list has a clue what might be
causing it, or how to fix!

I don't know enough about it to figure this out, or even if it's
something I'm doing wrong. I'll try if I ever get myself a spare
machine at home, but until then, it's kind of hard to develop kernel
modules when they cause panics - I'm prepared to try some stuff of
course!

I tried emailing the guy who's been made responsible but to no avail,
if random panics from kldload are acceptable then lets close the patch
and move on, and I apologise for wasting anyones time.

Thanks in advance,

	Steve