Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:36:35 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        "Hyunseog Ryu" <hyun@staff.norlight.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Korea (was: Sendmail Spam RBL)

On Thursday 20 June 2002 12:45 pm, you wrote:

<snip>

> I will talk to Korea NOG people to find some resolution for this.
> If you have any suggestion or idea to have something to have communication
> channel regarding SPAMMER issue, please send email to me.
>
> Thanks, guys
>
> Hyun

<snip>

A good place to start would be a country wide effort to educate your system
administrators on the proper configuration of mail servers. There is no
excuse with today's software for any smtp server to be an open relay.

We were receiving hundreds of spam emails daily, the majority of them from
Asia Pacific servers doing open relaying.  I have lost count of the number of
emails I've sent to postmasters in Korea regarding their open relays and have
yet to see a single one close. I have neither the time or the inclination to
pursue the matter any further. So until there is a major change in policy,
Korea will remain blackholed here.

Beech

      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957