Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 20:41:54 +0200
From:      "Munish Chopra" <messiah_man@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating of ports, pkg_version -c script

Hi,

The script generated by 'pkg_version -c' includes a command to delete the
old port 'pkg_delete -f portname'. Before I hose up my system doing dumb
things, how would this work? Does this require that you build a port in it's
directory, do a pkg_create, and install it that way? Or can this pkg_delete
stuff work even if I just used 'make install'?

And lets suppose I run one of these scripts, and I am running KDE or GNOME.
Would the session just die or what? Should I go into single-user mode before
running any of this stuff, in case things like that need upgrading?

If anyone could shed some light on this, that'd be great.

-Munish Chopra