Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 19:20:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        Gordon Burditt <gordon@sneaky.lerctr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd on alpha?

> >    Exactly what is the deal with FreeBSD/Alpha? Any issues to be aware
> >of?
>
> FreeBSD seems to want to use a serial console, and FreeBSD/alpha
> has a lousy record for boot images that actually work.  I haven't
> tried the ones on 3.2-RELEASE yet, but one of the May snapshots
> kept panicing on not being able to mount the hard disk (Duh!  I
> haven't installed anything on it yet!)

You mean the boot images to actually get the installation going? Such as
the KERN.FLP and MFSROOT.FLP which can be used to start the installation
on i386 machines?

> >I am getting an old UDB (Multia) box, 166MHz and I will upgrade the
> >ARC firmware to SRM (is this possible without even installing an OS?)
>
> Multia contains both ARC and SRM.  You probably want to upgrade
> the firmware anyway, and essentially what you do is boot the
> firmware upgrade floppy and DON'T INTERRUPT IT.

Hmm, so the BIOS actually has 2 consoles? I'll upgrade it but the files
seem to be DOS executables. Does the ARC console have support for reading
them and executing them? I don't really see how it works.

> >and plan on trying FreeBSD 3.X on it. I realize it may be sluggish but
> >will it support the standard configuration for a run-off-the-mill UDB
> >with a TGA 2mb graphics card?
>
> I haven't managed to get hold of an X distribution for FreeBSD/alpha yet.
> I'm not sure the system is stable (make buildworld always bombs out
> in a different place) and I don't know whether it's a software
> or hardware issue.

Is it FreeBSD that bombs out or just X? I don't really NEED X. Just
wondering about that.