Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 07:19:10 -0400
From:      "Jamil Taylor" <jamil_taylor@pobox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3Com Firewall

I am running FreeBSD 4.0 on a machine connected to the net with a cable
modem.  My isp had given me a static ip address, and my internet access
worked fine. I recently purchased a 3Com OfficeConnect Firewall. To get this
to work with my cable modem, I had to configure the firewall to use NAT and
assign the NAT public address to be the same as the ip address my isp
assigned to me. I have FreeBSD and Windows 98 installed on the same machine.
Windows 98 has no problem with internet access, but I cannot make a
connection on the internet with FreeBSD at all. If I try to ping an ip
address on the internet, I receive "ping:sendto: no route to host." I am
able to ping my isp's gateway successfully though. I can only attempt to use
ip addresses, because DNS is not working at all.

The only setup for the firewall I had to make was to change the gateway on
my PC to the firewall's ip address. The firewall has my isp's gateway stored
in its configuration. This works under Windows but not FreeBSD.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I could try to get this to
work. 3Com states that this firewall device is OS independent and works with
Unix...

Thanks,