Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:09:17 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what do you think ... should/could ports move to -> /usr/local/ports ?

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 09:37:40AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> /usr/local or its replacement should possibly be a separate file
> system.  I find the idea of mounting file systems on non-root file
> systems aesthetically displeasing.

Can't understand this. You only have to deal with a suitable
order in /etc/fstab ... But whats the problem ...

> How about (shudder) following the
> System V example and mounting them on /opt?

The pure System V R4 example follows the idea:

	/opt/<package>/{bin,lib,man,...}
not
	/opt/{bin,lib,man}

This was discussed already one year ago and nobody wanted

	/opt/<port_name>/bin
			/lib
			/include
			/info
			/man
			/man/man1

figure out ... 1048 or so entries in the root of /opt.
Even
	/opt/<category_name>/<port_name>/bin
			/lib
			/include
			/info
			/man
			/man/man1

Would have the disadvantage to have many many bin subdirs and
youd have to symlink everything into a global
	/opt/bin
	/opt/include
	/opt/lib
	/opt/man
	/opt/info

I'd dislike to simply renaming /usr/local to /opt, since this
wouldn't be that /opt as we know it. And we would look different
to SYSV _and_ to the other BSD variants. Then better keep
/usr/local in the /usr filesystem.

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD