Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:20:27 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Lists <sfulton-lists@esoteric.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS not responding.

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:21:34PM -0500, Lists wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with a 4.9 server attached to a NetApp.  Some=
=20
> background.  There are several Solaris 8 machines connected to it, and=20
> (2) FreeBSD 4.9 machines.  The Solaris servers and one FreeBSD machine=20
> have no issues connecting to the NetApp.  However, the 4.9 server in=20
> question does.  It was configured identically to its' sister 4.9 server.=
=20
>   The NetApp in question acts as a mailstore.

Have you eliminated the really dumb causes of such problems?  Try
replacing the ethernet cabling on the problematic machine, and if that
doesn't fix things, try moving that machine to a different network
port or port on your network switches.  Check the output from 'netstat
-i' to see if you're getting any bad packets.

I've had weird NFS problems like this which I spent ages trying to fix
in software, and then found that the problem was actually a marginally
broken cable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20