Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:49:32 -0600
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Western Digital Caviar /dev/ad1s1e vs /dev/wd1s1e ?

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to build a new 4.2-stable system these days.
It's actually going fairly well too!  But I have one of
those "did I miss a step?" sorts of questions...

When I installed the whole mess originally, I had two
Western Digital 1G Caviar drives hanging around the house
(Yes, back then dirt still _was_ rocks!).  And I installed
both those drives just fine.  Now I expected them to show
up as /dev/wd's.  Nah.  They showed up as /dev/ad's.

Uh, OK.  I guess.  And /etc/fstab thought so too.  Uh, OK.

So today I added a new, hot off the shelf Western Digital 40G
Caviar drive and wanted to dice it up as /u03 and /u04 with
roughly 20G each.  I apparently successfully ran /stand/sysinstall
to do the nasty formating, dicing, slicing and labeling for me!
And I again thought I was talking about /dev/wd2s1e and s1f.
So I modified /etc/fstab to have those new /u03 and /u04 mount
points.  Worked great.

But still, this whole /dev/ad versus /dev/wd things lingers...
I have a mix now...  The list of devices in /dev/MAKEDEV isn't,
uh, clear here either.

How concerned should I be?  Did I miss a step?  Is there some
funky name correlation I missed somewhere?

Thanks!
jdl

PS -- And for those keeping track, yes, this is an effort to
      stop some apparent rpc.statd hacks as mumbled here before.. :-)

PPS -- I'm not on the Questions list, so please CC: me directly too!