Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:51:45 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Paul Hamilton <paulh@bdug.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessing the Digital IO pins on a VIA EPIA-PD motherboard - Second question

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 09:13:20PM +0800, Paul Hamilton wrote:
> Ok, so it doesn't look like anyone knows anything about how to access the
> DIO pins on this MB.
>=20
> Next question, How does one go about analysing the hardware to find out w=
hat
> the io and interrupt addresses might be?

Looking at page 5 of the manual for this mobo
(http://www.viaembedded.com/product/Download.jsp?motherboardId=3D241), it
looks like there is a VT1211 super I/O chip connected to the VT8235
southbridge.=20

The GPI/O is nowhere to be to been seen on this drawing, but the webpage
for the VT1211 (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/peripherals/super-io/)
lists "56 General Purpose I/O Pins" My guess would be that that's what
you're looking for. You'd have to talk to VIA how the 8 pins on the mobo
are connected to the VT1211.

VIA has released an IrDA driver for the VT1211, but it is Linux-only and
binary-only.

You could write VIA and ask them to release enough documentation to
allow a driver for the digital I/O pins to be written.

Good luck.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.