Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:40:04 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@ns1.thought.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emachine's cheap sound config...

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:33:34AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> types:

	[[ ... ]]

> You don't need an X driver for that. You don't even need the X client
> software for that. Put it on the network, and just log in from
> multiple xterms on a workstation.  Or multiple puttys, if that's the
> client you're using.

	This was a concern yesterday: whether I could get the new
	box networked--as fubar.thought.org, or whatever.  My ISP
	alloted me 4 IP's, though, and I discovered that by using
	a separate IP, ``fubar'' was on the net, going thru my
	router...  And yep, I'm able to ssh to and fro using the
	xterms here.

	It'll be a few weekends before my gateway is tuned; but it's
	happening.

> If you want to do it in single user mode, you'll need to isntall X,
> but you won't need to get the server working. Once you're in single
> user mode with the network configured, start an xterm displaying on a
> remote X server. You can then start more xterms, etc. from there.
>
> Having X installed without bothering to configure a working driver
> means you can run other clients - gkrellm, for instance - on it to
> display on your workstation as well.

	This last sounds like some new wizardry.  Is gkrellm anything
	like VNC?  If you want to drop a few more helpful paragraphs
	this way, I'd be much obliged...  Otherwise, I'll note it in
	my .ToDo file.

	thanks,

	gary

--