Date:      22 Jan 2000 19:18:49 -0600
From:      Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   making a 56k modem pool

that has been posted to uchi.comp.unix as well.

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a little modem pool with which I would like to
get 56k speeds.  I have a couple of USR/3com Courier V.Everything
modems that are capable of 56k connectivity.

However, when asked how to reverse the builtin asymmetry in the modem
(outgoing 33k, incoming 56k) the 3com tech support guy said that I had
to go to ISDN modems with funny digital lines and the whole deal.

Does someone know what's going on here (or know of a pointer to that
kind of information)?  I just don't understand what the issues are,
and I'm going to need to understand these to buy new modems, phone
lines, etc.  If I need to get new modems, does anyone have
recommendations about ISDN modems?  Any gotchas doing this stuff with
FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Soren