Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:28:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gouders@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Difference between RELEASE and VERSION

On 14-Feb-00 gouders@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask a native English speaker for an explanation of the
> difference between the terms "release" and "version".
>
> The reason for my question is that I am working on a translation and I
> am not sure if I should translate these terms into German (which would
> probably result in the same German word) or if I should keep the
> English words in order not to drop subtle nuances.

Release, version, and revision all mean pretty much the same thing.
Each indicates a particular point in the development of a file or
program.  Version can be used for both individual files and overall
programs, thus when you talk about the version of something, it's
meaning can end up being ambiguous.  To try to get around this, we
just don't use version at all, but use two words for the two possible
meanings it has.  Release refers to the version of an overall product,
so that you have FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE.  Revision is reserved for the
version of individual files.  Thus, you can checkout revision 1.52 of
src/etc/login.conf, for example.  Hope this helps.