Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:09:00 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Dennis Jun <dennisjun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do stateful firewalls help increase security?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:57:50PM -0700, Dennis Jun wrote:
> A friend of mine asked me this today

Huh, wha? Asked you what? Oh, the subject line? "How do stateful
firewalls help increase security?" (The body of an email message
should be self-contained.)

> and I coudln't
> give him a definite answer, even though I use stateful
> firewalls. I was wondering if any gurus could enlighten
> me. Thanx.

The other option is a stateless packet filter. Stateless packet
filters are much, much better than nothing, but they do have
weaknesses.

For TCP, you can prevent incoming connections from the outside
world by blocking bare SYN-segments. This is the big plus of a
stateless filter. However, you are wide open to a wide variety of
scanning techniques like a simple ACK-scan. Anyone can map your
internal network. Anyone can send anything onto your network _except_
bare SYN-segments. This can be troublesome. (Of course, you can cut
off all TCP, but why not just pull the plug?)

For UDP, you can cut which ports can come into the network. However,
for protocols which use a ephemeral UDP port, you're in trouble since
you need to open up the whole range for incoming UDP.

There are other issues with ICMP and other protocols, but they are
generally not as important. Often "stateful" firewalls only act as
stateless filters for non-TCP or UDP packets (better ones do state on
ICMP too).