Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 20:32:48 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Copying partitions

With the low price of disk drives and the high price of both tape
drives and media, I have decided that a disk is the most cost
effective backup medium I can buy.

I have a FreeBSD STABLE system which now has two 13.6 GB disks and I
want to make the partitions on one copies of those on the other.
Except for the root partition, Vinum looks like a reasonable option,
but there have been recent reports on the stable mailing list that the
Vinum in 3.4 has a major bug that might make it unreliable.

Is Vinum a safe way to do this? I intend for the second disk to act as
my backup and reliability is critical.

While reliability is critical, currency is less so and I can just
manually copy the data, it that is what it takes. In any case, I will
need to do something like this for the root partition.

What tool is reasonable for this? dd, cpio, dump piped into restore,
something else? I'd like to preserve all file attributes and soft
links, if that is possible, and that eliminates many ways of doing it.

Any comments or suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks,

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)