Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:55:38 -0500
From:      Ryugen@palaver.org (Ryugen C. Fisher)
To:        mccarty <amccarty@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: customer dissatisfaction

brother<br>
However.. this list, being about FreeBSD is not a suitable platform for
this discussion...<br>
find a WIN-NT group... now THERE is an X-Rated operating system<br>
&lt;shrug&gt;<br>
At 04:43 PM 07/16/2000, mccarty wrote:<br>
Dear Sirs:<br>
&nbsp;&lt;?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
&quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office&quot; /&gt;<br>
I am very disturbed by the growing trend towards institutionalizing
pornography as part of mainstream American culture, and the increasingly
easy access to children of just about anything one can or can't
imagine.&nbsp; <b>Why is Yahoo providing infrastructure to support
this?</b>&nbsp; I can only surmise - for the same reason ATT acquired the
rights to distribute XXX pornographic films over the internet on
named it <a href="mailto:xcite@home">xcite@home</a>?) - pure
profits.<br>
I'm not trying to take a public stand on whether some or all forms of
pornography should be legal, etc.&nbsp; My main areas of concern are the
following:<br>
1)&nbsp; The issue of accessibility is a serious problem.&nbsp; After a
few keystrokes, a 10 year old can&nbsp; click on a button that says he's
18 and can get free access to thousands of samples of ANY KIND OF
PORNOGRAPHIC MATERIAL.&nbsp; Regardless of whether you think pornography
is good, immoral, or should be illegal, I think most people would agree
that it is not a healthy thing for kids to get drawn into.&nbsp; Access
to physical forms of pornography are restricted (e.g., magazines, videos,
sex clubs), either geographically, or be physical access restrictions, or
both.&nbsp; Access to electronic formats, including some truly abominable
stuff, is virtually unrestricted.&nbsp; There is a large quantity of
EXTREME and potentially even illegal material available FREE on the
internet.&nbsp; It would be an understatement to say I believe this is
having a negative effect on the emotional development of the world's
children.<br>
2)&nbsp; Yahoo! is providing a playground for sexual predators.&nbsp;
Yahoo tolerates (encourages?) these sex clubs because they generate
revenue.&nbsp; The sex clubs exist ostensibly to provide a forum for
public discussion of adult topics.&nbsp; In practice, they are just
advertisements and/or links to pornography sites, and watering holes for
child molestors and other sexual predators.&nbsp; And I believe the easy
access and ubiquity helps condition potential victim's to think of these
kinds of sexual activities as &quot;normal&quot;, lowers inhibitions,
etc.<br>
3)&nbsp; The third big issue I have with all this is the MAINSTREAMING of
this kind of stuff - the idea that Yahoo! and ATT are turning
dissemmination of pornography int an acceptable profit-making activity
for major US corporations, and expect that noone will blink an eye.&nbsp;
No, I m sorry, but I don't think pornography should be commercialized and
institutionalized.&nbsp; Guess what, if this trend continues, I bet the
kids won't be trading Pokemon cards at the playground much longer!<br>
I plan to boycott Yahoo!&nbsp; until something is done to correct this
situation.&nbsp; Companies that partner with Yahoo!&nbsp; or pay to
advertise on Yahoo!&nbsp; should also understand that they are supporting
this infrastructure with their advertising dollars as well.&nbsp; Please
consider your actions carefully.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Sincerely,<br>
&nbsp;<br>