Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:38:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Mandy Moore <root@delphinium.mine.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msg in /var/log/messages

[moved to -questions because it's more appropriate for that list]

Mandy Moore wrote:

> This messages keep on appearing in my /var/log/messages but I do not know
> what do they explain. The box acts as a gateway from the LANs to my ISP
> using ppp. I'm using 2 3com NICs to separate the two LANs ( xl0 & xl1 ).

The first one probably means that your ISPs data link protocol uses some
commands that ppp doesn't support or vis-versa.
The next two indicate a routing problems. It could be that your ISP uses
192.168.* addresses in their internal routing. In which case, you may have
duplicate addresses on either side of the gateway. (That would be a problem,
and is a major reason why people need to quit playing around with nat and
get IPv6 working.) Try a traceroute from this box to somewhere like
www.freebsd.org and see if you're routing through addys in the 192.168.*
range.
The other possibility is that your routing is simply misconfigured and
the netmask indicates one thing, while the actual network layout is different.

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the