Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:38:40 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

--==_Exmh_1547228416P

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:54:32AM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > cual0 (or sio0) is almost certainly NOT your winmodem.  I suspect it is
> > an onboard serial or IR port, as is sio1.  More reading of the ltmdm
> > documentation might reveal how to discover what sio device node is
> > associated with the winmodem when the module attaches.  You'll then need
> > to use the /dev/MAKEDEV script to create /dev entries for that sio node
> > if you don't already have them.
>

> Thats the problem exactly!
>
> If I *knew* what device it really mapped to then I would be laughing,

No you wouldn't, because it maps to the device you're trying to use, and
the problem lies elsewhere... :-/

> finding that out seems to be nigh on impossible, hence my mail asking
> if anyone had been round these hoops and succeeded.

Just to relieve the FUD, this is a working Lucent Winmodem device node:

andy@tureg[169]-> ls -lrt /dev/cual0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  228, 128 Nov 23 23:31 /dev/cual0
andy@tureg[170]-> grep cual /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
 set device /dev/cual0

Looks identical to your entry to me. That's not the issue.

> > Or you could do like the rest of us and buy a pccard modem that doesn't
> > suck.  ;^)
>
> That is something that I don't want to do until I am certain that the
> winmodem is not an option.

Replace it with one that's supported... ;-)

This is identical to the one I've got. I even bought it from this guy
IIRC, he's obviously got 100's because everyone's busy fitting the AC'97
part instead:

	http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2074332041

This search should turn up a few dozen:

	http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&;
query=IBM+combo+mini-PCI&cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&ht=1&fr
om=R10&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&srchdesc=y
&BasicSearch=

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1547228416P