Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:53:33 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a reseller program?

Josef Grosch wrote:

[snip]
> whip this into a nice spiffy product. The only stumbling block is our old
> problem, the manual. We could package Greg Leheys' book without the freaking
> man pages. In reality we do need another FreeBSD book. Greg can't be
> carrying the whole load for us.

The big problem isn't the packaging, it's the positioning. We still
haven't settled the question of what we want to market FreeBSD as. The
reality is that most of what FreeBSD excels at is stuff only we
techno-weenies care about. If we want to be the next Red Hat for the
desktop, we need to do some serious script work and GUI front-end work,
as was discussed here on -advocacy a while back. If, on the other hand,
we want to position ourselves as the ultimo server system, booting
Novell, Solaris and NT out the back door, then we're a lot closer. See
the OpenBSD server article in today's Daemonnews.

If that's the market, we're almost there. We need specific documentation
with examples of SAMBA, Apache, fwtk, ppp, CVSup and Sendmail setup, a
front-end manual with more pictures to confuse da users, and a
documented list of applicable O'Reilly, P-H and A-W books. Targeting the
(large and small) business server market would be a much better first
step, playing to our strengths.
--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *