Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:56:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      <stanb@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Machine wont boot from hard disk after install

	I am installing FreebSD on 4 machines for use at work. All of the
	machines are varios models of HP Vectras. All are Pentium 1's of
	various speeds from 75 to 90 MHZ. They have various generations of Hp's
	BIOS. I have installed brand new 20G Quantum drives in all of the.

	3 of the four are fine. However the 4'th one (which I think has a
	_newer_ BIOS that the others) Will not boot after doing an install. I
	just get "Read Error".

	I have played around with the setting relating to the hard disk in the
	bIOS, but have not lucked up on a combination that works.

	Can anyone give me some advice on how they should be set up? The BISO
	comments actually talk about "UNIX" operating systems. For example
	recomending that "transfer mode" be ste to stnadard. But i think it's
	refering to SCO. This machine has a "Runing Windows 95" choice which I
	have ste to "NO". Should I have LBA on or off?

	BTW the machine has a "auto detect" of had disk drive, but when I use
	it, I don;t get anything thta looks like the blocks/cylinders/sectors
	reported by dmesg on the 3 working systems.

	Help, please.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@panix.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC