Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:05:52 -0500
From:      Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCPd and DNS issue

Hello,

I have a small network set up at my apartment with my freebsd machine
providing DHCP, DNS and NAT to the machines in the apartment. Whenever one
of these machines attempts to obtain a DHCP lease it is successful, however
I get error messages logged by syslog of the following type:

dhcpd: if IN A  doesn't exist add 21600 IN A  192.168.0.2: resolver failed.

Occasionally I get another message complaining of an invalid domain.

I'm sure that I just have something misconfigured, but I don't know for sure
what it is. I was hoping someone else might.

Information that may be useful:

I am providing secondary DNS service for a domain.
I have a 'fake' i.e. unregistered domain for internal hosts.
I have not done anything to try and have DHCPd auto-update the DNS.

I can forward copies of my config files on demand.

I have looked a little in the mail archives but didn't find anything I
thought was an answer.

Thanks in advance if someone can help me out.

-Will