Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 12:41:54 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Indra <m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S-Lang compiled (was: Re: Can't get...)

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 03:40:41PM +0700, John Indra wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 04:48:02PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> | Just put the tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles and run ``make && make
> | install'' in usr/ports/devel/libslang. make(1) only gets the tarballs
> | from the Internet if it doesn't find them in /usr/ports/distfiles.
>
> Oooh... thanks for pointing that out for me...
> Looks like I didn't spot this sentence when I read the chapter about
> port collection =(
>
> OK... now I have S-Lang 1.3.10 lying around on my FreeBSD box.
>
> | The current version in the ports is 1.0i.
>
> Yupe... I've checked and even installed Mutt from the ports-current. Now
> Mutt is working just fine...
>
> Another question if I may:
> I want to customize my Mutt 1.0i, to NOT show X-Mailer (I want to
> customize it using my own X-Mailer header). Unfortunately, there's no
> runtime configuration to achieve this (in the developer version of Mutt,
> there's a runtime configuration to eliminate the User-Agent, the new way
> to call X-Mailer, header).
> One easy way to achieve this back in the era when I was using the stable
> version of Mutt was to do this:
> # CFLAGS="-DNO_XMAILER" ./configure --with-slang
>
> Now, how can I achieve this if I want to compile from the ports?
>
> # cd /usr/ports/mail/mutt
> # make USE_SLANG=YES
>
> Where and when should I pass the CFLAGS="-DNO_XMAILER"?

Well, you *should* be able to just do

      # make USE_SLANG=YES CFLAGS+=" -DNO_XMAILER"

Note the ``+='' not just ``=''.

Not all programs in the ports will honour a CFLAGS option on the
command-line. IIRC it is usually those that use ``configure'' to
create the Makefile(s). If this is the case with mutt(1) then just run

       # make USE_SLANG=YES configure

and edit the Makefile(s) to add -DNO_XMAILER. Then run

	 # make USE_SLANG=YES install

HTH

> Thanks...
>
> Regards,
> John Indra -- ICQ UIN #26095019

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller