Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:16:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        wolf <mjoyner2@hq.dyns.cx>, Marc Hunter <hunter@hunter.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and natd during internal to internal access ...

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> At 03:35 PM 10.10.2002 -0600, Nick Rogness wrote:
> >On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, wolf wrote:
> >
> >> You might try freebsd-hackers or freebsd-stable mailing lists. They are
> >> more technically oriented for things like this.
> >
> >	Um, no don't send this to hackers or stable.  That is not
> >	their focus.  This type of question is a newbie question and
> >	belongs on this list.  This question gets asked probably once a
> >	month or so...maybe needs to be added to someone's FAQ I suppose.
> >
> >	Besides, they will probably tell you the same thing that was
> >	mentioned below.
> >

> Yes, this is asked often and wish there was some good complete answers
> -- "roadmaps". One answer I suppose is to use a hardware router (but I
> don't want to). I too prefer using FBSD as a software router and DNS
> server. But, I don't have the extra internal DNS server set up either.
> Our networked machines can go to each web server on the network via the
> internal IP, like 192.168.0.xxx.
>
> It gets more complicated because of redirects from the routing machine
> (which is also the external DNS server) to the various web servers on
> the same network.

> It loads up the web sites just fine. Or, also I can just step over to a
> machine with a modem connected to the Internet and go to each one too
> that way.
>
> The above is just another couple of workarounds. I should set up another
> machine to do the Internal DNS. Are there some good URLs with info on
> setting up such a server for this and won't interfere with the router
> and external DNS setups...???

	There are so many different ways to do this with DNS:

	1) Use another domain (point to inside)
	2) Setup subdomain  www.internal.domain.com
	3) Setup nameserver to respond differently depending on source IP
	4) Run a proxy server

	The list goes on and on.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
 "Wouldn't it be great if we could answer people with a
  kick to the crotch?"  -maddox@xmission.com