Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:49:58 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        David Kramer <david@thekramers.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Linux or Solaris

David Kramer wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>>
>>This is of course a question of personal taste, but I would
>>probably choose FreeBSD. On small or medium size networks and on
>>x86 hardware I find it hard to beat fbsd's performance.
>>Linux is gaining performance wise, they have made some
>>significant improvements lately, but Linux still gives me an icky
>>feeling. I just cant sleep well at night if I have to trust Linux
>>to run my servers.
>

> I'm curious about this.  Performance is something that can be measured,
> but what about Linux makes you feel "icky"?
>
> I ask, because I'm going to be building a new server at home in a few
> weeks (firewall/ipmasq/web/mail/ftp/ssh/couple users).  I'm a long-time
> Linux user, but now I'm using FreeBSD a lot from work.  I've been
> considering using FreeBSD instead of Linux for the new server, but I'm
> having trouble finding *recent* *objective* advantages to one over the
> other.  For instance, I know the FreeBSD TCP/IP stack was much tighter and
> more secure in the past, but I don't know if that's still the case.
>
> So I would be interested in hearing any objective advantages of FreeBSD
> over Linux.

*snip*

I suspected this would start one of those thread that never dies,
thats why I clearly stated that it was only my personal opinion.

First, let me assure you that Im not one of the zealots that only
has eyes for one os and all other software is inferior to their
favorite. I frequently use all versions of Windows and every
MacOS from early 8.x up to MacOS X. I was involved with starting
swedens first linux tech support and from that gained several
months of linux training and a lot of trouble shooting
experience. I have used linux for years, mixed with BSD, Windows,
BeOS and Mac.

The things I dont like about linux is the madness of libc and
dependencies, rpm's, the different distributions that all seem to
have their own idea about what path to follow, and the enormous
hype that follows it. People that know nothing about computers
still know the word linux. They may have a totally screwed idea
about what it really is, but they know its something really cool
and advanced and that you can make millions on dollars in profit
if you use it. *sigh*

Dont get me wrong, I like linux, its a great os. All Im saying is
that I prefer BSD on my servers. Im not saying BSD is better or
that linux cant run my servers just as well, I just personally
feel more comfortable with BSD. It might be my personality that
is screwed just as well as it could be linux thats bad.

Now could this thread die, it answers very few BSD related questions.