Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:04:12 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeSSH

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.9910140229320.19721-100000@jason.argos.org>, Mike Now
lin writes:

> ry
> uch.
> > >
> > > Why are you hoping for very few users of UUCP?  It works quite well, and
> is
> > > very low maintance.  People who have intermittant connectivity have good
> > > reason to still use it.  I use it in a couple instances over FTP, because
>  it
> > > has spooling and logging facilities built in.
>
> (This really should move to -net or something...)
>
> If we're going to entertain the idea of making UUCP a port, we should
> entertain the idea of replacing it with something equally suited to moving
> files over a modem, and FTP+PPP doesn't qualify -- too many points of
> failure.  I hate to admit it, but C-Kermit comes to mind.  You need to
> have SOMETHING in there that lets you do two key things - move files, and
> talk directly to a serial port.  Minicom works, but it relies on also
> having zmodem, etc. installed as well.

UUCP is sort of a standard.  Virtually every commercial version of UNIX
has it.  By removing it we remove one more communication or
compatibility option.  Our UUCP is based on Taylor (GNU) UUCP, arguably the
best UUCP around.

> As the maintainer of 200+ FreeBSD/Linux/Coherent (yuk!) systems spread
> across northern Ohio in the harshest environments I've ever seen, (nursing
> homes -- they make steel mills look clean :) ), having these gut-level
> utilities as part of a base install is really handy when some patient
> pours his calcium-and-sugar-rich dietary supplement into the power supply
> fan...  Not to mention that Coherent doesn't do TCP/IP (but they DID
> finally get X working before they went under...:) )

I didn't think anyone used Coherent any more.  My copy is collecting
dust along with OS/2, NT 3.5, and PC-DOS 1.1.  MWC did publish a good
manual.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC