Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:50:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Elitetek" <freebsd@tekrealm.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a few questions...

Elitetek writes:
> second, im using a script file to tar selected directories for backup, and
> wanted
> to get some opinions
> for now im just backing up
> /root
> /etc
> /var
> /usr/local
> /sbin
> /usr/home
> /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

That's not enough stuff to generate a bootable system. No kernel, no
devices, etc. Personally, I wouldn't back up /dev with tar, but I'm
paranoid. It's not at all clear what you're trying to do with the
backup, either.

> is there anything i should add or remove from that list?

Depends on the goal. Do you want to be able to recreate the system
from backups, or from the distribution CDROM + backups?  If the
former, you need to put everything on the backup - root and all. If
the latter, you don't need /sbin, and most of the stuffin /var, /etc
or /root.

However, if you did a default install, or otherwise didn't dump
everything on the root file system, it should be relatively small. In
that case, I'd recommend backing up the entire root file system with
dump, then adding the dump file to your tar backup. That will
eliminate /root, /etc, /sbin and possibly /var.

If nothing goes into /usr/local but packages, you don't need to back
that up if you're going to reinstall from CDROM. You do need to back
up /var (which you're doing) so you have a know what was
installed. Saving a copy of the distfiles (if you build from ports) is
a good idea. If you're installing packages from the CDROM, you've
already got them. Config files on /usr/local you've edited need to be
dealt with. Ideally, you've got a list of what you've changed, how you
changed it, and why, so you don't really need to back them up

Personally, I store every config file I touch in a source control
system, complete with revision history - and then make sure I back up
the database for it. That includes the things in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf.

If you do all the above, keep the root dump and the source control
system database in /usr/home somewhere, all you have to tar up is
/usr/home. You should then be able to recreate your system after a
total failure on a fressh from whats on the tar image.

> i want to have backups if my system should fail/and or is hacked

Failures are (usually) easy to detect, and just having your recent tar
image would fix it. Hacking is harder to detect, and you may need to
that. Proper treatment is a bit complex for an already to-long
message.

	<mike