Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 95 00:35:00 W
From:      Angelo Turetta <turetta@trust.stylo.it>
To:        "'SMTP:freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can you please help with leased line connection ?

Please cc: replies directly to me. I'm not on these lists.

I've just got my V34 leased line installed, and I'm trying to configure my
FreeBSD 2.0.5 gateway to use it.

I've tried both pppd and ppp, and none of this come with enough
documentation about leased line operations.
I'd prefer to stay with PPP, but if you can suggest a quick configuration
using SLIP, I'd be willing to try it (at least temporarly).

My ISP has a CISCO router, if that matter.

We have a full class "C" address, plus one external address to use for the
PPP port, provided the latter is mandatory. We have been using iijppp over a
dial up connection with the same ISP for more than 6 months: I've tried to
adapt the previous configuration, without luck: it logs hand-triggered line
drops (DCD level change detection ?), but it never connects.  I run ppp
 -dedicated, but it's not clear what this option is meant for.

Of course, the modems speak to each other: they connect correctly at 28.8 (I
can see it if I run tip on that serial port).

Please, if you have some experience with leased lines, feel free to ask
anything you may need to diagnose my problems.
Failure reports also welcome: better to know what to avoid....  If this is
not a task I can solve with this release of FreeBSD, I can try and find
something else, while waiting for further development.

Thanks in advance.

Angelo Turetta
Stylo Multimedia - Italy
<aturetta@stylo.it>