Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 22:50:37 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        jmutter@netwalk.com, "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:PCWeek article by Anne Chen -- Comments

It does reflect the weaknesses in the current marketing and promotion
of FreeBSD. In particular, the article mentions the lack of native
application support. (Running Linux binaries under emulation isn't
acceptable to the IT crowd; the platform must be SUPPORTED by the
application vendor.)

As I've said many times before, the technical foundation of FreeBSD
is excellent, and the people who work on the OS are very competent
programmers and debuggers. FreeBSD's deficiencies are in the areas
of marketing, promotion, native application support, and a good
"story." In short, it has not technical problems but rather memetic
problems.

This is enough to cause it to lose out to Linux's more adaptive
memes.

To solve these problems, FreeBSD needs the sort of marketing that
the current leadership rejects. To use a phrase coined by Alan
Cooper, "The inmates are running the asylum."

Even development efforts will fall behind -- due to a lack of
enthusiastic volunteers -- if this  problem is not rectified.

--Brett Glass