Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:04:50 -0600
From:      Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Car Mp3 Player

> If it's the one I'm thinking of, it only takes NTSC input and requires

> a (complex, not-supplied) power supply.

Complex, yes, but I can wire it DIRECTLY from my car battery, and
include microcontrollers which will automatically power it down and
other energy saving non-sense.  I'd rather have it wired cleanly from
the battery than have 5 different off-the-shelf convertors strung
together.  Not only do I have the services of an electrical engineer (he
lives with me), but I also have free parts galore from DigiKey and
Maxim, so I can tailor all the hardware to my specifications.

> A *very* poor choice for the job.  I'd recommend gutting a Libretto
and
> using that as the core of such a system - it has reasonable audio
> hardware, plenty of CPU, and a nice screen and power supply already.

Ewww... Laptop hardware.  The SBC (Single-Board Computers) I'm looking
into have high-performance industrial hardware (with industry
standardization), all in the footprint of a 5.25" disk drive.  Not only
that, but they have embedded SoundBlaster AWE hardware, a must for any
audio application.  Besides, I looked at your Libretto - only the L100's
and higher have enough computing power to do linear decoding and
playback of MP3 files - my car will be doing a lot more processing than
just MP3 decoding, I'll be doing engine maintenance, plus a GUI
interface, and GPS.  This isn't just an audio system, this is
everything.

Main reason:  It's a hobby, I like to wire stuff together.  I get a kick
out of building hardware tailored to MY needs, which I can quickly write
software for.  Libretto is a *very* poor choice for me, besides the fact
that all of the parts I'm using are made by OEM's, and are built robust
for harsh-environments, which my car definitely is (I live in Minnesota,
it has been below zero for 2 weeks straight).

> If someone has an L50 they want to sell cheap... 8)

Oh, and my embedded PC (with CPU included) costs around $800, plus my
$99 LCD (got it in the mail today, BTW), and other assorted parts, costs
quite a bit less than the L100 which has half the capabilities, and a
quarter of the convenience.

--
Mark Kobussen
IS - Honeywell, SGP Division

/* '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT 1.8L */
/* Fender Stratocaster: Tex-Mex, 3-Tone Sunburst */