Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:52:06 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   (perl*2)+zsh questions

I am running a 4.4-STABLE machine based on the Tyan Tiger 133 board
with two P3-600b/133 and 256 megs of PC133 RAM.

 ===jpaetzel@twincat ('tty') /home/jpaetzel -> uname -a
FreeBSD twincat.vladsempire.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0:
Wed Nov 14 06:58:58 GMT 2001     jpaetzel@twincat.vladsempire.net:
/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TWINCAT  i386

I have been trying to get a blootbot running, which uses
WWW::Search and WWW::Search::Google, among a bunch of other stuff.
Everything on the bot is working except for it's ability to do Google
searches, so I started poking into things.  In the process I have
noticed a couple of things:

I am running zsh as my shell with the following .zshrc:
   ===jpaetzel@twincat ('tty') /home/jpaetzel -> cat .zshrc
umask 022
BLOCKSIZE=1M
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
PS1="===%n@%m ('tty') %/ -> "
IRCNICK="Friar_Josh"
TERM=xterm
export TERM
export IRCNICK
export BLOCKSIZE

I can run perl scripts just fine, but I don't get any output back to
the screen.  I've taken a look through the extensive zsh
documentation, and I suspect that it is doing strange things with
stdout, as bash and sh and csh all seem to work fine.  The scripts
will save to files just fine, and I can see them doing disk access and
so forth, they just don't seem to be able to use stdout.  Any clues
from a fresh pair of eyes or maybe a set that's been down this road?

Well, anyways, that's just a minor hickup.  My main question is about
WWW::Search::Google  It seems to be functioning improperly.  When I
use it, I can see that it goes out to the internet, it just doesn't
return any results.  I've gone so far as to run the code snippet in
the man page, and it just doesn't work. (Perl runs fine, without an
error, it just doesn't return anything, even when I'm not using zsh.)
WWW::Search::AltaVista works fine, but I haven't tried any other
search modules.  Again, anybody be able to clue me in here? Test code
from the man page included in case anyone wants to try it out.

use WWW::Search;
my $Search = new WWW::Search('Google'); # cAsE matters
my $Query = WWW::Search::escape_query("Where is Jimbo");
$Search->native_query($Query);
while (my $Result = $Search->next_result()) {
print $Result->url, "\n";
}

Thanks,
Josh